Belmont Bakery owner fined on hygiene

first_imgBelmont Bakery’s owner Stephen Doughty has been fined £10,000 for breaching food hygiene regulations, after a resident found a dropping in a bread roll.Doughty, of the Twickenham-based bakery, appeared at Richmond Magistrates Court on Wednesday 4 January, where he admitted charges of failing to comply with the Food Hygiene Regulations 2006, as reported in the Richmond and Twickenham Times. Environmental health officers visited the premises in October 2012 following a tip-off where they discovered dirt, dust and food waste on the floor and shelving areas. In addition, mouse droppings were found on floors, under trays and shelving and on window ledges.After receiving the verdict on 3 January (Tuesday), following a previous court appearance at Richmond Magistrates Court back in December, which was adjourned after Doughty had been issued a bankruptcy notice in November, Belmont Bakery was closed.In response to the verdict, Doughty said: “It has been the worst three years of my life. I have owned this bakery for 20 years and nothing like this has ever been brought against me before.”Councillor Virginia Morris, Richmond Council’s cabinet member for environment, said: “Belmont Bakery has now closed down for other reasons, but we would require Mr Doughty to carry out a very thorough deep clean and repair of the whole premises if he re-opens in the future.”In addition to the fine, Doughty was ordered to pay £6,000 towards the council’s costs in prosecuting the case.last_img read more

Christmas sits with foul trouble, Keita struggles in extended 2nd-half minutes

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 15, 2014 at 12:33 am Contact David: [email protected] | @DBWilson2 GREENSBORO, N.C. — Just 2:03 into the second half of No. 2-seed Syracuse’s 66-63 loss to No. 7-seed North Carolina State in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament quarterfinals, Rakeem Christmas made a prolonged trip to the Orange’s (27-5, 14-4 ACC) bench inside the Greensboro Coliseum.The forward had just picked up his fourth foul and he would have to spend most of the frame on the sideline.No. 11 SU trailed by just one when Christmas left the game and seven minutes later had fallen behind by 10.“We were able to get the ball around the basket,” N.C. State head coach Mark Gottfried said, “and we were fortunate there when he got his fourth foul.”With Christmas in foul trouble, Syracuse was forced to rely on Baye Moussa Keita in the middle of the zone for most of the second half. He performed poorly and the Wolfpack (21-12, 9-9) was able to rack up 30 points in the paint en route to an upset win. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textNCSU center Jordan Vandenberg alone scored on all five of his field-goal attempts.“It wasn’t necessarily by design we were going at him. We wanted to get the ball inside,” Gottfried said. “It’s got to go in there some.”Christmas was more aggressive on the offensive end than he was during the Orange’s disastrous end to the regular season, but it didn’t yield any results. He attempted two short jumpers early in the first half, but failed to connect on either. The only field goal he did make was on an alley-oop from Jerami Grant.And Keita was even worse. During one stretch in the second half he fumbled a rebound out of bounds, got shredded by North Carolina State forward Lennard Freeman on the other end and had his only field goal of the game blocked by Vandenberg.“You’d like to have him in there, there’s no question about that,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said of Christmas. “But he was out of position three times and if he had been in the right position, he wouldn’t have been in foul trouble.” Commentslast_img read more

Florida Woman Fatally Shot By Deputies Was a U.S. Army Veteran

first_imgThe unidentified man told investigators Drowne hit him during an argument about his teenage daughter.Drowne’s ex-husband told the Orlando Sentinel that she was struggling recently. Mina adds that the two deputies are on leave pending an investigation. A woman who authorities say was fatally shot by sheriff’s deputies in Central Florida this week after a confrontation with a neighbor, was a veteran of the U.S. Army.Orange County Sheriff John Mina says his deputies shot Tracy Drowne on Tuesday afternoon, when she pointed a gun at them.They were investigating a battery call involving an incident with her neighbor.last_img

Word on the (Nelson) street has Canucks going all the, er, can’t say it, don’t even want to go there

first_imgBy Bruce FuhrThe Nelson Daily Sports It’s the talk of the gas stations.It’s the talk of the coffee shops and beer and wine stores.The Vancouver Canucks are on the verge of, er, can’t say it, don’t even want to go there.But some people are more optimistic than others.“Canucks in five,” chimed Shawn and Cam Robertson, owner/operators of Taghum Shell convenience store located west of Nelson, who were not at all shy about trumpeting their series picks.The Robertson brothers have been hearing all the hype from customers ever since the Canucks disposed of the San Jose Sharks to advance into the Cup final.“Everybody it talking about the Canucks run to the Stanley Cup,” said Cam Robertson.“Canuck fans have had to wait 17 years just to get to the cup final let alone have a chance to win it all,” said Shawn Robertson.People everywhere are talking about the start of the Stanley Cup Final.Jim Plamondon at Wait’s News on Baker Street has listened to customer after customer give his or her read on the best-of-seven affair.“Its kind of fun,” said Plamondon. “People are pretty excited and are all pretty confident the Canucks are going to do it . . . in five of six games,” he added.Some people are saying this series is about the same mismatch as in 1982 when Vancouver shocked the hockey world — mostly thanks to King Richard Brodeur — before being swept out the door by the Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, Bryan Trottier and the New York Islanders.“Nashville on steroids is Boston,” said Shawn Robertson. “(Vancouver’s) puck possession game is better than Boston’s and we’re faster. The Bruins have two good defenceman we have six.“And depth . . . overall talent up front.”The Robertson’s and Plamondon say people coming in the stores, Vancouver fans out number Boston faithful by a wide margin.However, over at The Grand Merchants manager Scott Swetlikoe tells The Nelson Daily there are a few more Bruins’ fans than he’d like to see.“What surprises me the most is all the Boston Bruins fans coming into the store but then again it really doesn’t surprise me because of Bobby Orr and the way Vancouver played for all those years,” Swetlikoe said Tuesday afternoon. But I’d have to still say it’s a 70/30 split in favour of Vancouver.”Included in the 30-percent is co-worker David Vova — a Boston fan since he was six-years-old.‘I don’t feel bad at all,” Vova said when asked about the ribbing he’s taking from Canuck Nation.“I lived in Vancouver for 20 years, but I was a Boston fan then and I’m a Boston fan now.”“It goes back to my childhood,” he added. “I really liked watching Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Derek Sanderson and Johnny Buyck. Plus I really liked the Boston jersey.”Despite talking the talk, most Canuck fans in the Heritage City don’t really appear to be in the spirit just yet.The only signs of Canuck bandwagon jumping Plamondon sees from his Baker Street location is team flags fluttering in the wind from passing vehicles.But there’s a reason for that.“Not game day,” said Cam Robertson.“Not game day,” responded Swetlikoe to the same question. “Tomorrow (Wednesday) I’ll have it on.”The hype will reach epic proportions Wednesday at Rogers Arena after Mark Donnelly whips the fan-o-meter with his version of O’Canada.Game two goes Saturday in Lotus land before the series shifts back to Boston for games three and four, Monday and Wednesday.If necessary game five is Friday, June 8 in Vancouver.According to the Robertson brothers that should be the night Vancouver . . .. Can’t say, don’t want to go there.Time to sit back, with fingers and legs crossed, and just watch the game. And may best (Canucks) team [email protected]last_img read more

LaVar Ball pulling son LaMelo out of SoCal high school

first_imgFire hits houses in Mandaluyong City MOST READ (L-R) Lavar Ball and LaMelo Ball look on from the audience during week eight of the BIG3 three on three basketball league at Staples Center on August 13, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images/AFPLOS ANGELES — LaVar Ball is pulling his 16-year-old son LaMelo out of his Southern California high school to be home schooled and so he can be made into “the best basketball player ever.”LaVar told The Los Angeles Times that LaMelo, a junior, will leave Chino Hills High School on Tuesday so he will have fewer distractions and better focus.ADVERTISEMENT Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Read Next LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary LATEST STORIES Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cavaliers moving Love to center, Thompson to reserve role LaMelo is considered one of the nation’s top high school recruits and has committed to play at UCLA, where his brother Lonzo played last season. Lonzo is now a rookie with the Los Angeles Lakers and their brother, LiAngelo, will be a freshman at UCLA.LaMelo, who scored 92 points in a game for Chino Hills, will focus on playing for his father’s travel team, Big Baller Brand.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLaVar has grabbed attention over the past year with exaggerated claims and headline-grabbing antics. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Police: California school shooting took 16 seconds PLAY LIST 01:42Police: California school shooting took 16 seconds03:122 dead in California school attack; gunman shoots self00:54Palace: Up to MTRCB, DFA chief to pull out ‘Abominable’ from cinemas01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City View commentslast_img read more

Red-hot Ronaldo in record-setting form for Real

first_imgCristiano Ronaldo Red-hot Ronaldo makes best start to a calendar year at Real Madrid Alberto Piñero Real Madrid correspondent Last updated 1 year ago 16:28 3/3/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(16) Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid Primera División Getafe Real Madrid v Getafe After a sluggish beginning to the season, the 33-year-old has hit his top level over the course of the last couple of months Cristiano Ronaldo has made his best start to a calendar year since arriving at Real Madrid by netting 12 times in the first two months of 2018.The form and longevity of the Portugal star was called into question at the start of the season, which he started slowly. Hampered by suspension, it took the 33-year-old until a December 9 rout of Sevilla to get his third goal of the league campaign.Since the winter break, the Ballon d’Or winner has set about making up for lost time, and has hit a particularly rich seam of form in recent weeks. Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Ronaldo has scored double or better in four of his last six La Liga outings, including a hat-trick against Real Sociedad. Only Levante have managed to keep the attacker quiet during this period, in which he has scored 10 goals.Additionally, the Portuguese attacker’s double against Paris Saint-Germain helped Madrid to a 3-1 first-leg lead over the Ligue 1 leaders in the Champions League last 16.Even a forward as prolific as Ronaldo has rarely enjoyed such a prolific period, netting 1.33 goals-per-game on average since the beginning of January.It is his hottest ever start to a year at the Bernabeu. Although he scored more goals in January and February in 2013, he also played four more fixtures and therefore only struck 1.23 goals-per-game.Twelve months earlier, he matched the 12 goals he has struck this time around but had similarly played 13 times for Los Blancos in comparison to the nine outings he has had under Zinedine Zidane so far this year.Cristiano Ronaldo goal GFXRonaldo’s turnaround in form, if continued, could propel him in back into Ballon d’Or contention towards the end of the year, despite Lionel Messi having been considered the favourite after an excellent La Liga season.”I never dreamed of winning the Ballon d’Or five times,” Ronaldo said this week . “If I had to finish my career now, I would be super happy… [but] if I won another Ballon d’Or, two or three more times I’d be delighted with life.”Even if I don’t win, I’ve already won five… but I still have the confidence and the strength to compete for the prize… it depends on the titles we win this year. Everything I dreamed of, I achieved.”The news also bodes well for Portugal as they seek to upset the odds and win World Cup 2018.Ronaldo has consistently improved his output in World Cup years since moving to Spain, starting the year with just five goals in 2006 before netting six times and nine times in 2010 and 2014 respectively.last_img read more

a month ago​Nuno insists Wolves focused on Braga

first_img​Nuno insists Wolves focused on Bragaby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNuno Espirito Santo insists that everyone at the club is focused on their next game – a Europa League tie against Braga.Wolves are suffering a dip in form, after suffering two successive defeats against Everton and Chelsea.They are in the bottom three in the Premier League, which is an unusual position considering their form last season.But Nuno thinks they must take things one game at a time in order to find their groove.”It’s the third season for us. We started in the Championship, Thursday we play Europa League, we are the same,” said Nuno to reporters.”We have to work hard, but we don’t stay too much time in the past, we just look at Thursday.”This is my job. It’s not when we win everything is OK, when we lose everything is bad.”That’s why I say we have to realise what happened.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

a month agoNuno deflated after Braga loss continues Wolves slump

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Nuno deflated after Braga loss continues Wolves slumpby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo disappointed after Thursday’s loss to Braga at Molineux.Ricardo Horta’s effort saw the Premier League club lose in what was their first appearance in the main stage of a European competition since 1980Speaking after the game, Nuno said: “It is difficult to break down a team. We didn’t create much but the chance they had they got it. It’s a tough game. We have to keep on going.”All the goals are mistakes. If there was perfection there would be no goals. We have to remain calm and move on.”We controlled the game and managed well but one of the things we have to improve is to be patient and find a way to break down teams. Individually and as a team we have to raise our standards again.”On Sunday we have another challenge [against Crystal Palace].” last_img read more

Video: Draymond Green Screams: “They Told Me I Can’t Play In This League” After Winning Title

first_imgDraymond Green celebrates a championship win.Draymond Green Michigan StateFormer Michigan State forward Draymond Green was certainly a force during his college days, but the Spartans star wasn’t looked at as one of the best players in the 2012 NBA Draft – mostly because teams couldn’t figure out what his natural position on the floor would be. Turns out most of those teams are now regretting passing on him. The Warriors star, who was eventually selected with the No. 35 overall pick, won a title last night after putting up a triple-double in game six of the NBA Finals. He’s one of the most versatile players in the NBA, too.After the game, Green, in celebration, was seen screaming to his mother “they told me I can’t play in this league.” It was a great redemption moment.Green is set to make some serious money this offseason. Apparently, he can play in this league.last_img read more

Frontline Raises USD 100 Mn for Fleet Expansion

first_imgzoom Tanker owner and operator Frontline has completed its share offering raising gross proceeds of USD 100 million to fund growth opportunities through vessel acquisitions.The funds, raised through the issuance of over 13.4 million of new shares, will also be used for general corporate purposes.The new shares were priced at USD 7.45 per share, the shipowner said, adding that the offering “was significantly oversubscribed.”Frontline’s largest shareholder Hemen Holding Ltd. has agreed to be allocated 1,342,281 new shares in the offering, corresponding to 10 per cent of the offering. Hemen will now own an aggregate of 82,145,703 shares in the company, around 48.4 per cent of Frontline’s shares and votes.The due date for payment for allocated new shares is expected to be December 16, 2016.Subject to full payment of the new shares, the company said that the delivery of the new shares is expected to be delivered to the subscribers and become tradable on the Oslo Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange on or about December 16, 2016.last_img read more