Thompson’s hat-trick lifts TG

first_imgElton Thompson is still celebrating after he fired in the first hat-trick of the season to carry Tivoli Gardens to a 3-0 win over Arnett Gardens in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) game at the Edward Seaga Complex yesterday. Thompson, who missed the last four RSPL games due to injury, broke the deadlock after 23 minutes when he fired past Omarley Francis from the top of the area. The speedy striker made it 2-0 seven minutes after the interval when he stole possession and raced away to slip the ball past Francis. Ten minutes later, the pint-size striker sealed his triple when he outsped his marker and fired under Francis. “To get the first hat-trick of the season, I’m overwhelmed,” Thompson told The Gleaner afterwards. “The feeling I have, I can’t even explain. After I scored the last one, I didn’t even know where I was, I just feel happy, joyful,” he said. With top scorer Germaine Johnson out with a hamstring strain, Thompson said he had to step up. “I was out the last four matches due to injury. My team was going down (the table), so I had to come back from injury because we needed this one, and I came back and did it, and Father God helped me to do this one,” he added. Thompson’s tally for the season is now eleven and puts him third behind teammate Johnson (16) and Boys’ Town’s Shamar Nicholson with 13. Meanwhile, the $1-million bounty is still up for grabs going into Sunday’s final round of games, after leaders UWI (59) played to a 0-0 draw with Montego Bay United and second place Humble Lion (58) were held to the same score by Maverley/Hughenden. Other results: Boys’ Town 4 Reno 1; Waterhouse 1 Portmore 4; Jamalco 1 Harbour View 1. HAD TO STEP UPlast_img read more

New Amsterdam Hospital CEO fired

first_imgBy Andrew CarmichaelThe Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the New Amsterdam Hospital has been fired. The dismissal of the CEO, Dr Samantha Kennedy, is seen as a desperate move by Government after several embarrassing reports of failure to address the health sector have been in the media.Dr Samantha KennedyThe CEO took up the appointment November 5, 2018, and Thursday was her last day on the job – a mere 94 days of employment. During that short period of employment, several allegations were levelled against the CEO and her management skills. The first controversy arose after she took six weeks leave two days after taking up the appointment.Several regional officials had also reported that it was difficult to meet with the CEO, who also refused to carry out an instruction from the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) only last week.The CEO also allegedly stopped doctors from being on call according to a report coming out of the Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) RDC on Thursday. That has since been restored after her firing.Addressing the RDC, Chairman of the Regional Health Committee, Zamal Hussain said Permanent Secretary (PS) in the Public Health Ministry, Colette Adams met with them on Wednesday informing them that the hospital will have to get a new CEO.He also stated that the PS also spoke of moves to address the issue of the New Amsterdam Hospital Mortuary.“The PS came to inform the Committee that we need to identify a place to construct a building for a new mortuary. She also asked that we include in our budget for next year a set of freezers to fill the building for a new mortuary,” Hussain said.The New Amsterdam Hospital Mortuary has been out of operation for prolonged periods. Director of Regional Health Services, Jevaughn Stephen told the RDC that it is expected back in operation next week.Last week at a press conference Stephens said the hospital’s administration had been experiencing issues with the mortuary during the latter part of 2018 due to a fluctuation in the voltage supplied by the Guyana Power and Light (GPL).Meanwhile, Hussain also reported that the PS addressed the issue of scores of vacancies at the medical institution. “We were assured that the one hundred plus vacancies which exist at the New Amsterdam Hospital will be filed.”He added that according to the PS, arrangements will be made to have them filled urgently.However, Regional Chairman David Armogan said the vacancies have been in existence for more than two years. He explained that on several occasions the REO had informed the Ministry of them. However there seems to be an issue with the Public Service Ministry which has responsibility for employment.“I don’t believe that they will get this thing sorted out in a few months’ time. Since Jevaughn came into this work he has been listing these vacancies and they were there before. The REO [Regional Executive Officer] has spoken about it at every meeting that I have gone to with her at the Ministry of Communities. Up to today these vacancies cannot be filled. I don’t know where the problem is but it seems to me that we have to wait on the Public Service Commission and the Public Service Commission it seems as though they are not sitting. I don’t know it they are not properly comprised but something is wrong with filling these vacancies,” Armogan said.The Regional Chairman noted that there is a vacancy for a pharmacist which has been in existence for more than one year.“These are vital positions, especially when it comes to medical issues. These issues have to be filled by technically qualified persons. There are people coming out of university looking for work. All these vacancies can be filled…”The health sector in Region Six has been delivering a service less than expected for more than two years, residents have reported. A shortage of drugs and medical supplies has been one of the major issues.In January 2018, Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence publicly admitted that there is massive stealing of drugs at the New Amsterdam Hospital.Lawrence said Government has been spending too much money on health for there to be a constant drug shortage at that hospital.The move to overhaul the services at the New Amsterdam Hospital come almost one week after residents in the region took protest action over the poor service being offered at the facility.last_img read more

A5 FUNDING AXE: ‘WE’RE CHANGING TIMETABLE’ SAYS VARADKAR

first_imgTransport Minister Leo Varadkar has insisted the Government will fund the A5 road – just not yet.The government wants to change the timetable on how it contributes to the funding of the road – which it must do under an international agreement with the North.Meanwhile Ireland North West MEP Pat the Cope Gallagher has reacted to media reports suggesting that the Government is to renege on its promises made both before and since the election to part fund the Dublin-Donegal motorway project. Pat the Cope Gallagher MEP said: “This road project was one of the outcomes of the St Andrew’s Agreement whereby the Irish Government committed EUR 480 million to the project which will have major benefits for the North West region. The previous Fianna Fáil led Government were at all times fully committed to the part funding of this project despite the current economic difficulties.“As recently as September the Taoiseach Enda Kenny unreservedly committed his Government to the funding when he was well aware of the economic constraints. All other regions of the country have been served by high quality roads. It is absolutely essential that the road infrastructure in the North West is brought up to the standard which exists in other parts. Why should the North West suffer once again? It is obvious that this Government has no commitment to cross border projects, if the media reports prove to be accurate.Pat the Cope today suggested that “certain members of the Government should familiarise themselves with the existing route before taking a decision that will be detrimental to the future economic development of the North West and the regeneration of the region which suffers from the highest unemployment rate in the country.”Pat the Cope further concluded, “I met recently in Brussels with Danny Kennedy, the Regional Development Minister in the Northern Executive who was very positively disposed to the development. The Government should immediately dispel the uncertainty and reaffirm its previous commitments made before and after the election to proceed with this vital infrastructural project.” A5 FUNDING AXE: ‘WE’RE CHANGING TIMETABLE’ SAYS VARADKAR was last modified: November 9th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:A5 FUNDING AXELEO VARADKARPat The Cope Gallagherlast_img read more

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOWS POPS UP IN LETTERKENNY!

first_imgLovers of the cult musical movie – the Rocky Horror Picture Show – are in for a treat this week when the Regional Cultural Centre in Letterkenny is transformed into a pop-up cinema showing the movie for one night only on Friday night!The madcap movie – famous for the massive hit ‘The Timewarp’ – has a huge international cult following and audiences are usually well-prepared to get fully involved by dressing up as characters from the movie and joining in the fun.“We’re certainly encouraging people to get into costume and join in the fun on the night. It will be an interactive cinema experience and it is not something that anybody ever forgets in a hurry,” said Lorraine Porter, captain of the Letterkenny Musical Society’s Relay for Life team who are hosting Friday night’s event. She added: “We really wanted to do something musical and fun as one of our fundraisers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show certainly fits the bill. It is just one of those shows that lives long in the memory and we’re hoping that as well as dressing up people will also bring props like water pistols and newspapers, flashlights and rubber gloves!”The LMS team captain however did stress that tickets for Friday night’s show (they cost €10 and it starts at 8pm) are strictly limited and she urged anyone interested to get in touch to book a ticket.“The Regional Cultural Centre is going to be a superb venue for this but it does have a limited number of seats and while it’s possible that there will be tickets on sale on the night, I’d really urge people to make sure they get their tickets in advance to ensure they get in. And let’s face it, this is a one-off experience that you really don’t want to be missing!”Some tickets are available at the Regional Cultural Centre or you can pre-book by sending an e.mail to lmsrockyhorror@gmail.com  ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOWS POPS UP IN LETTERKENNY! was last modified: April 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:letterkennyRCCRocky Horror Picture Showlast_img read more

DUFFY – “I’M BETTER THAN MCGREGOR AND I’D BEAT HIM AGAIN IF WE FOUGHT”

first_imgUFC: Joseph Duffy has finally responded to the taunts aimed at him by Conor McGregor by proclaiming he would beat the Dubliner if they faced off against each other again.Joseph DuffyDuffy choked McGregor out when they faced each other in 2010 – but that was the last time McGregor tasted defeat.Since then he has gone on to become the poster boy of the UFC and has reportedly signed a contract worth $100 million dollars. However, it seems the success of Duffy has got under McGregor’s skin – and he launched a scathing attack on Duffy about him headlining the main event Dublin – and also suggested he wasn’t Irish.On a UFC podcast Duffy said that he feels he’s a better fighter than McGregor and said if the pair met again – the outcome would be same as what happened in 2010.Duffy said, “He believes he’s great, but I just feel like I am better.”“I would beat him. I think it would be pretty similar [as the first time] to be honest.” Duffy also thinks many Irish fight fans are starting to grow weary of the Dubliner’s antics and are happy to see another Irish fighter come through.“Obviously Conor’s doing well, he’s brought a lot of attention to the sport but I think he is starting to get on people’s nerves a wee bit now.”“I think it is time now for a new Irish fighter to come through now.” DUFFY – “I’M BETTER THAN MCGREGOR AND I’D BEAT HIM AGAIN IF WE FOUGHT” was last modified: October 7th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Home-page SportnewsUFClast_img read more

Experience something different at this youth service culture event

first_imgThe Letterkenny Youth Information centre have a fun international culture afternoon planned for Tuesday, the 14th of November. Everyone is invited to come along from 3-6pm for this free event.Following the success of the Polish Culture evening at the centre in 2016, the group has decided to go even bigger this year. This year there will be representatives from lots of different cultures, such as Pakistan, Ukraine, Poland, Spain and Turkey.There will be traditional music, food, history of each country, tongue twisters and more. So come along and hear, learn, and taste something new. This is a great opportunity to experience different cultures right on your doorstep. Zapraszamy, Khush Aamadeed, Estais todos invitados, запрошуємо всіх, you are all invited!This is a strictly no alcohol event. The Letterkenny Youth Information Centre (YIC) provide a free, and confidential information service to young people and those who work with them. The centre managed by Donegal Youth Service provides information and support for employment, studying, travel, rights, employment, accommodation, and more, as well as a space to hang out with friends, and meet new people.The Letterkenny Youth Information Centre is located at Donegal Youth Service 16-18 Port Road on the top floor. A lift is also available. For more information please contact them on (074) 91 29640, www.donegalyouthservice.ie or find them on Facebook or Twitter. Donegal Youth Service are a registered charity CHY 15027. Experience something different at this youth service culture event was last modified: November 10th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Sharks thoughts: what can Joe Pavelski fetch on the free agent market?

first_imgSAN JOSE — With 13 goals in 21 games, Joe Pavelski is putting himself in position to be an attractive commodity on the free-agent market next summer.The Sharks captain, who was named the NHL’s third star of the week Monday, is well on pace to reach the 30-goal mark for the fifth time in his storybook career, showing no indication that he’s on the decline heading toward his 35th birthday in July. Though it’s rare for NHL general managers to hand out lucrative multi-year deals for players in …last_img

Video: A notable first trip to the nation’s capitol

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest One of the Ohio Farm Bureau county presidents in Washington DC this week is Matthew Damschroder. He visited with Ty Higgins about his first trip to the nation’s capital and what he hopes to accomplish.last_img

Yogi Adityanath cuts short Karnataka campaign to visit storm-ravaged Agra

first_imgUttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanth, currently on an election campaign in Karnataka, is rushing back on May 4 night to visit storm-ravaged Agra, a senior official said on May 4.The Chief Minister will arrive in Agra on May 4 night and visit the calamity-hit areas on May 5 morning, Principal Secretary Information Avanish Awasthi said.Mr. Adityanath was criticised on May 3 by Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah for remaining in Karnataka even after his own State was hit by storm. “I am sorry your CM is needed here in Karnataka,” Mr. Siddaramaiah tweeted. “I am sure he will return soon & attend to his work there.”Also Read  Mr. Adityanath will review the relief and restoration efforts in Agra district, the U.P. official said.The Chief Minister will later leave for Kanpur to monitor the relief work there and in nearby districts, Mr. Awasthi said.A high-intensity storm ravaged parts of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan on May 2 night, leaving 73 people dead and 91 injured in Mr. Adityanath’s State alone.Agra district was the worst hit, accounting for 43 deaths and injuries to 51 others.Mr. Adityanath was earlier scheduled to campaign in poll-bound Karnataka till May 5. Fresh thunderstorm alert issued to U.P., West Bengal, Odisha, Biharlast_img read more