CPI(M) alleges attack on leader during Tripura civic bypolls

first_imgThe Tripura CPI(M) alleged that its senior leader and former Finance Minister Bhanu Lal Saha and scores of party workers were attacked during the by-elections to vacant seats in nine municipal bodies in the State on Thursday. The party withdrew its candidates competing in four wards of Agartala Municipal Corporation alleging threats and intimidation. Supporters of the CPI(M), led by senior leaders Pabtra Kar and Manik Dey, staged a protest outside the State Election Commission office here claiming failure of administration in conducting free and fair bypolls. Mr. Kar complained that the Election Commission remained unmoved despite several complaints filed by them. By-elections were held in 67 seats under different municipal bodies, including the AMC. A total of 174 candidates from different parties are contesting the bypolls. The counting of votes will take place on Friday. The BJP denied the allegations of attacks and threats on political rivals anywhere. “The CPI(M) has lost the support of people, so they are putting false blame on us to find a route to escape the polls,” BJP State vice-president Ashish Saha said.The CPI(M) claimed seven of its supporters were injured in an attack by BJP workers at Salema in Unakoti district on Wednesday evening. The attack reportedly occurred after the CPI(M) reopened its office in the area.It said party leaders and cadres again came under attacks during the municipal bypolls on Thursday. Mr. Kar said the attacks took place in Agartala, Bishalgarh, Belonia and Santirbazar.last_img read more

Muslim youth lynched in West Bengal

first_imgA Muslim youth who was beaten up by a “few of his acquaintances” in Malda district on Friday, died of his injuries later. The incident was reported on Sunday. Sanaullah Sheikh, in his early twenties, was called to the Baishnabnagar market, about a kilometre from his village Chak Meherdi.“He was asked to start a bike so that he could be framed as the one stealing it,” an official told The Hindu. “He was then thrashed by five or six persons, who could be identified from a video,” the official said.Mr. Sheikh used to live with his three children, wife and mother in Chak Meherdi and was “largely unemployed.” Locals alleged that Bappa Ghosh, associated with the Communist Party of India-Marxist [CPI-M] earlier and now attached to the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP], led the mob.Swadhin Sarkar, Chief Whip of the BJP and Baishnabnagar MLA said that Mr. Ghosh “is associated with the Trinamool Congress.”“In the last election, [Bappa] Ghosh worked with the Trinamool,” he said. Mr. Sarkar claimed that the deceased was suspected of stealing a motorcycle and caught by the locals in the market area. “The beating started and very unfortunately the person died. No Hindu-Muslim colour should be given to it and the culprits should be punished,” he said.Congress MLA from the adjoining Assembly segment Isha Khan Chowdhury and Trinamool’s district president Moazzem Hossain visited the area. Local Trinamool functionary Paritosh Sarkar said the “culprits are not associated with our party.”“It is not a Trinamool-BJP thing but a law and order issue. One person has been arrested on the basis of the video. The rest will also be identified and arrested,” Mr. Paritosh said.last_img read more

Decision on IPL Kochi franchisee likely to be taken today

first_imgSuspense over the fate of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchisee, Kochi, will finally end as the Governing Council meets on Sunday to take a decision on the issue amidst legal hurdles being faced by the BCCI.”A final decision on the Kochi franchisee will be taken on Sunday,” a senior Governing Council member told PTI.The Governing Council had last week deferred its decision on the franchisee for the third time last week in Nagpur, after the investors reached a last-minute shareholding agreement.Barely seven months after becoming the second most costliest team in the IPL, Kochi was on the verge of being thrown out of the event due to the shareholding dispute between the consortium’s investors.The investors — Anchor Earth, Parinee Developers, Rosy Blue and Film Wave — hold 74 per cent of the equity.The remaining 26 per cent lies with the Gaikwad family –Shailendra, his brother Ravi and their parents all part of Rendezvous Sports World — as free equity for services rendered while bidding.It is this 26 per cent, which became a bone of contention among the stakeholders, as the investors were in no mood to give free equity to the Gaikwad family.The Gaikwads, on their part, initially refused to part with the equity but have now agreed to forego at least 15 per cent of it after the investors-group threatened to withdraw from the IPL, threatening the very existence of the franchisee, which was bought for a staggering sum of Rs 1533.33 crore, a franchisee source said.advertisement- With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

BCCI’s payout has ex-players in tears of joy

first_imgWhen the news of a one-time BCCI benefit purse of Rs 20 lakh, to be distributed to retired cricketers, was broken to former Punjab and Uttar Pradesh fast bowler Ubaid Kamal on Thursday, he broke down and disconnected the line. The tears were of joy.Kamal, who bagged 178 wickets between 1990 and 2000, was only doing a Nirupama Mankad, wife of ex-Test batsman Ashok. She had disclosed to MAILTODAY in May 2012 that she wept on hearing the news that the BCCI would extend the benefit purse to widows. Ubaid, now 41, soon recovered and returned the call. “I was expecting that the Board would give us Rs 10 lakh each. So when I heard that the amount was Rs  20 lakh, I couldn’t hold back my tears. I thank the Board for thinking about players who retired before good money, and the IPL, came in,” the Allahabad bowler-turnedcoach told MAIL TODAY. Ubaid said he would invest all the money – it’s expected that players would only receive Rs 14 lakh after tax deduction – on an academy he’s setting up in Barabanki, a few kilometres from the ancestral home of hockey legend KD Singh ‘Babu’. “I want to produce fast bowlers for India,” he said.The BCCI’s finance committee on Wednesday approved the proposal for this one-time benefit purse, having given in 2012 heftier purses to all Test players and also to those who had played 75 or more firstclass matches. The present slab is between 50 and 74 matches, the only condition being they should have retired by the 2033-04 home season. The finance committee’s recommendation will now go to the working committee for final approval. “About 50-60 players will benefit under this scheme,” said a source.advertisementAmong those who qualified include Madhya Pradesh players Sanjay Jagdale, who as BCCI secretary had suggested to president N. Srinivasan to include Ranji players too in the one-time benefit scheme, and late Syed Mushtaq Ali’s son Gulrez Ali, Haryana all-rounder Dhanraj Singh, Narendra Menon, and Punjab wicketkeeper Arun Sharma.Dhanraj, too, got emotional, but is clear where he would use the money. “I got my daughter married recently. I had taken some loan for her wedding, and this amount would help me pay back the loan,” Dhanraj, who was part of Haryana’s only Ranji Trophy title triumph in 1990-91, told MAIL TODAY. “I’m grateful to the BCCI for this gesture. At the same time, I’d request them to slightly enhance our monthly gratis,” said the man who played 51 matches from 1990-1999. Gulrez, who played 74 matches, said: “We played tough cricket in the days when remuneration was very small. The number of matches was also less in those days, so playing 74 game is no joke.”last_img read more

TELEFILMS TALENT TO WATCH PROGRAM AIMS TO LAUNCH NEW GENERATION OF CANADIAN

first_imgFilmmaker Koumbie was chosen as one of the first participants of Telefilm’s 2018 Talent to Watch program.(CBC) Advertisement Packed inside a gussied-up sound stage at Pinewood Toronto Studios this week, dozens of up-and-coming filmmakers met with industry insiders, speed dating-style.They asked questions, built connections and perfected pitches during a two-day summit as part of Telefilm Canada’s new Talent to Watch program, which tapped the creators of 45 film and digital projects from across the country for its inaugural edition.Halifax actor Koumbie, who goes by a single name, spent 10 years appearing in TV shows like Mr. D and Studio Black, but is now moving into directing. She was selected for Talent to Watch for her first big project, CareCroft. Advertisement Advertisement Facebookcenter_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment “It is a digital series for women’s experiences going through the medical system in Nova Scotia… struggling to be believed by not just their doctors, but the people in their lives as well,” she said, noting that the idea was born from a conversation with her producer about access to birth control and what she sees as a lack of openness in conversations about it.‘It’s that simple’Talent to Watch greatly expands on Telefilm’s former Micro-budget Production Program, according to Francesca Accinelli, the film agency’s director of national promotion and communications. Login/Register With: Twitterlast_img read more