Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Ickenham’s Jordanne Whiley won her fourth successive Wimbledon ladies wheelchair doubles title as she and Yui Kamiji stormed back from a set behind to beat second seeds Marjolein Buis and Diede De Groot.The 25-year-old was beaten at the first hurdle in the singles by De Groot earlier in the week but claimed revenge and her ninth Grand Slam doubles crown in front of a delighted crowd on court three.They had witnessed a superb 37-shot rally in the fifth game of the opening set, which was taken 6-2 by the Dutch pair.But Whiley and Kamiji won eight of the first nine points of the second set to seal an early break, which they momentarily lost midway through the set but regained immediately. Fulham close to striker dealEmbed from Getty ImagesFulham are close to completing the signing of Diego Rolan from Bordeaux.The Whites have agreed a £5m deal with the French club for the 24-year-old striker.Rolan is in London to meet with Fulham, who are hoping to convince him to join despite reports of Premier League interest in the Uruguay international.He is yet to receive a serious offer from a top-flight club but reports say Newcastle are interested. Van Ginkel loan deal agreedEmbed from Getty ImagesChelsea and PSV Eindhoven have reached an agreement for Marco van Ginkel to return to the Dutch club on another season-long loan.West London Sport recently revealed that PSV were looking to take the Netherlands international on loan again.Van Ginkel, 24, has been at PSV during the past two seasons. Smith ready to recall JotaJota will be available for Brentford’s friendly at Oxford United on Wednesday if there is still no offer for him by then, according to boss Dean Smith.Jota missed a second pre-season game for the Bees, this time against Lausanne on Saturday, because his future at the club remains uncertain.West London Sport revealed last week that Jota would not play in the friendly at Aldershot because of an imminent bid expected from a Premier League club.That bid did not materialise and Smith said: “If nobody comes in with this imminent bid, which we were told about, he will be available for the Oxford United game.“We have had that chat and he will be happy to do so.”West London Sport revealed last month that Jota was of interest to Everton, West Ham and Newcastle, while newly-promoted Huddersfield have since also shown an interest. Stones defender lands Wednesday trialWealdstone defender Ciaron Brown has been handed a trial by Sheffield Wednesday.The 20-year-old has attracted interest from League clubs since he joined the Stones from Bedfont Sports last August.Brown can play at centre back and left-back and impressed in the run-in to last season.Stones manager Gordon Bartlett said: “We have a great pedigree at Wealdstone of bringing young players on and moving them up to the pro ranks and Ciaron is more than capable of making the step up having made consistent progress.“I’m sure that he will do well in whatever the future holds and we will never hold a player back.” Hall nursing injuryEmbed from Getty ImagesGrant Hall missed QPR’s friendly at Peterborough because of tendonitis.Hall’s conditon will be assessed in the next 48 hours after he was withdrawn from the squad on the eve of Saturday’s game.Jordan Cousins and Sean Goss also missed the match and defender Joel Lynch, who has been nursing a knock, featured after coming through a fitness test.Cousins is being slowly eased back after a long-term thigh problem, while Goss was also left out on the advice of the Rangers medical staff.“We’ve had Hally pulled out yesterday and I almost didn’t have Lynchy as well,” manager Ian Holloway explained.“We’ve protected Jordan and Gossy we’ve protected as well. Jordan has worked so hard during the summer to get himself fit.”Jamie Mackie, Jack Robinson, Ebere Eze and Charlie Owens scored QPR’s goals as they won 4-2 in a 120-minute match at London Road. Holloway admits 120-minute game stretched squadEmbed from Getty ImagesIan Holloway admitted agreeing to play a 120-minute friendly at Peterborough ended up stretching QPR’s squad to the limit.The idea of two 60-minute halves – effectively two separate games – was initially suggested by Posh director of football Barry Fry.Rangers were happy to agree, but when three players were withdrawn from the squad, manager Holloway had to make late changes to his plans.In addition, QPR’s Under-23s played Wycombe and a Rangers XI visited amateur side Bovingdon on the same day.Holloway said: “What we got wrong, and I’ll admit it, is that we also had an Under-23s game and another game, so we had to fulfil four fixtures.“When Barry first mentioned it it was fine because you can prepare for it, but we’ve since had a few injuries.“But I’m delighted. It’s good for them (the players) and it’s good for our fans as well to see everything.” Chelsea Ladies sign Swedish defenderEmbed from Getty ImagesChelsea Ladies have signed Sweden international Magdalena Eriksson from Linköpings.The 23-year-old left-sided defender has signed a two-year contract and will wear the number 16 shirt. Middlesex beatenEmbed from Getty ImagesBeleaguered Middlesex captain Brendon McCullum failed yet again with the bat as his side were thrashed by Somerset in the T20 Blast at Uxbridge.The former New Zealand star, who has now mustered only 36 runs in four T20 games, presided over a second comprehensive Middlesex defeat in the space of three days.And this latest loss – by 21 runs – came against a Somerset side who had not succeeded in winning any of their previous 10 fixtures in the competition.
25 July 2013 A report released by South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs has recommended legalising and regulating the rhino horn trade while creating a national fund for increased intelligence, security and awareness to combat rhino poaching in the country. The Rhino Issue Management report was compiled by a team led by former South African National Parks CEO Mavuso Msimang, following a wide-ranging series of workshops and consultations with non-governmental organisations, communities, traders, professional hunters, ecologists, resource economists and ordinary citizens.Trade proposal for CITES 2016 The report states “that there is support to include commercial international trade in rhino horn as an integral part of South Africa’s comprehensive response strategy to address the continued illegal killing of rhinos,” the department said in a statement on Wednesday. “This recommendation has formed part of the decision by the Cabinet that South Africa prepares and submits a rhino trade proposal for consideration at the 17th Conference of Parties of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES) in 2016.” The report’s recommendations had also helped the Department of Environmental Affairs to review and update its rhino response strategy, the department said on Wednesday, adding that it was key to the report’s findings that “there is no single solution to the rhino poaching scourge. “From this, it is quite clear that our efforts will pragmatically require the employment of a range of strategies along several fronts.”Security review The report recommends a review of the country’s existing rhino security strategy, including a serious upgrade of security on the South African border with Mozambique, backed up by agreements to be negotiated with both Mozambique and Zimbabwe that provide for the protection of wildlife in the Kruger National Park. According to the latest figures from the Department of Environmental Affairs, more than 500 rhinos have been killed for their horn in South Africa since the beginning of the year. The Kruger National Park continues to be the hardest hit, with 321 rhinos poached there since January. Over the same period, 129 suspected poachers have been arrested, while a number of others have already been sentenced and are serving prison terms. Last year, 135 poaching-related arrests were made. The government has put a number of initiatives in place to curb poaching, including signing agreements with Asian countries, including Vietnam, where rhino horns are in high demand because of their supposed medicinal qualities.National rhino fund plan The Cabinet is also backing the report’s proposal to create a national rhino fund to help attract uniform funding for security, awareness and increasing the number of rangers at South Africa’s conservation parks. South African National Parks (SANParks) spokesman Paul Daphne, speaking at the release of the report on Wednesday, said SANParks, which had been given R75-million to address rhino poaching this financial year, planned to recruit 150 extra rangers for the Kruger Park National. So far, 72 had been hired. Fundisile Mketeni, a deputy director-general in the Department of Environmental Affairs, said that while the situation was extremely serious, the rhino species was not about to become extinct. “The death rate has not yet surpassed the birth rate,” Mketeni said. “But the indicator of success for South Africans and the world will be less rhinos killed. We will continue to improve on our strategies to achieve that. “We understand this is an emotive issue, you are angry as South Africans,” Mketeni said. “But we can do more with your interventions. We appeal to you to read our strategies and participate. We are in this thing together.” Mketeni said a national fund would allow civil society, the corporate sector and international funders to make financial contributions to save the rhino. He said there were currently more than 4 000 organisations that collected donations purported to address rhino poaching. “This is not working; we need to have one central funding mechanism,” he said.Centralised permit system Mketeni said the government was doing all it could to combat rhino poaching, but agreed that a lot still needed to be done to clean up the system, including improving security at the country’s borders and dealing with corruption. Other recommendations in the report include the creation of a centralised permit system and database for live rhino sales, rhino horn sales and rhino hunts. Presently, professional hunters, hunting outfitters and trainers only register in individual provinces, and if they are non-compliant in one province they can apply to operate in another province. Legislation strengthening regulation and enforcement in order to prevent abuse of the hunting permit system will soon be passed in Parliament. The draft law will mean that a person who is involved in an illegal restricted activity, but who does not physically carry out the activity, can also be found guilty of an offence. SAinfo reporter and SAnews.gov.za
Two minor girls were killed by their family members in Bareilly in separate incidents on Monday, following their love affairs. Both the incidents of honour killing had been reported from rural Bareilly in the last 24 hours. In the first incident, a 15-year-old school girl was killed in Bahedi village in rural Bareilly allegedly by her family members after sherefused to testifyagainst her boyfriend who was in jail. After killing the girl, the family members tried to burn her body but some of the neighbours alerted the police. The police reached the spot and recovered half burnt body of the victim. The man who belonged to another religion and the girl eloped two months ago after which her family members and fellow villagers, had attacked his house. Later they registered a case against the man under POSCO. Police arrested him and was under trial. . In another incident of honour killing in Mandwa village in Bareilly, a student of standard ninth was killed by her parents and her body burnt on Sunday after she reached home late. Her parents fled from the village on Monday.
A Muslim youth who was beaten up by a “few of his acquaintances” in Malda district on Friday, died of his injuries later. The incident was reported on Sunday. Sanaullah Sheikh, in his early twenties, was called to the Baishnabnagar market, about a kilometre from his village Chak Meherdi.“He was asked to start a bike so that he could be framed as the one stealing it,” an official told The Hindu. “He was then thrashed by five or six persons, who could be identified from a video,” the official said.Mr. Sheikh used to live with his three children, wife and mother in Chak Meherdi and was “largely unemployed.” Locals alleged that Bappa Ghosh, associated with the Communist Party of India-Marxist [CPI-M] earlier and now attached to the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP], led the mob.Swadhin Sarkar, Chief Whip of the BJP and Baishnabnagar MLA said that Mr. Ghosh “is associated with the Trinamool Congress.”“In the last election, [Bappa] Ghosh worked with the Trinamool,” he said. Mr. Sarkar claimed that the deceased was suspected of stealing a motorcycle and caught by the locals in the market area. “The beating started and very unfortunately the person died. No Hindu-Muslim colour should be given to it and the culprits should be punished,” he said.Congress MLA from the adjoining Assembly segment Isha Khan Chowdhury and Trinamool’s district president Moazzem Hossain visited the area. Local Trinamool functionary Paritosh Sarkar said the “culprits are not associated with our party.”“It is not a Trinamool-BJP thing but a law and order issue. One person has been arrested on the basis of the video. The rest will also be identified and arrested,” Mr. Paritosh said.
Kano (Nigeria): Two female suicide bombers killed three civilians and wounded eight in a suspected Boko Haram attack in northeast Nigeria, emergency services said Wednesday. The twin blasts tore through a crowd late Tuesday in the town of Mafa, some 50 kilometres (30 miles) from regional capital Maiduguri. “The female bombers killed three people and wounded eight others,” Bello Danbatta, head of security for the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) in Borno state, said. The assailants entered the town among a group of local women who had gone to fetch firewood for cooking, Danbatta said. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USLocal district spokesman Adamu Mohammed, who gave the same toll, said the bombers waited until around 8:30pm (1930 GMT) before launching their attack. Boko Haram has been waging a 10-year insurgency in northeast Nigeria that has seen it repeatedly use female suicide bombers to attack soft targets such as mosques, markets and bus stations. Many of the bombers are young women and girls. The last suicide attack was in June when a triple bombing outside a hall where football fans were watching a match killed at least 30 people.