first_imgWolf Multimedia Studio of Jericho, Vermont has recently completed a video DVD entitled Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley, Snowflakes in Motion. With Musical contributions by Vermont musicians The Samples and Stowe musician Bill Bischak, and narrations by Jericho residents Wayne Howe and Dick Squires, this DVD takes the viewer into the life of Wilson Bentley. Wilson Bentley was the first person to photograph snowflakes with a microscope in 1885 and is credited with the discovery that no two snowflakes are alike! Bentley also photographed frost, dew, clouds and his family and neighbors.This DVD tells Bentley’s story of determination, passion and persistence, despite setbacks and ridicule, through the love and fascination with nature, told in Bentley’s own word’s and pictures, in a 20 minute biographical piece. The remaining 40 minutes takes viewers into the amazing world of Bentley’s images, showing intricate detailed nature shots as well as the fabulous designs and shapes of snow crystals. Backed by 8 original compositions and 2 selections from the nationally renowned band, The Samples, the 10 segments are meant to relax the viewer and build upon the thoughts that Bentley puts forth in his writings. Each piece is preceded by a quote of Bentley to set the mood for each segment:”The snow crystals . . . come to us not only to reveal the wondrous beauty of the minute in Nature, but to teach us that all earthly beauty is transient and must soon fade away. But though the beauty of the snow is evanescent, like the beauties of the autumn, as of the evening sky, it fades but to come again”Wolf Multimedia Studio, based in Jericho, Vermont since 1989, also produced the award winning Wilson Bentley Digital Archives interactive CD-ROM in 2000, containing over 1000 of Wilson Bentley’s images. The CD-ROM also contains articles written by and about Bentley, the only film of Bentley at work, games and much more.The Snowflakes in Motion DVD and more information on Bentley & the DVD are available at the Snowflake Bentley website: snowflakebentley.com, vermontsnowflakes.com and wolf1.comlast_img read more

The Pitchell Challenge: A New Journey

first_imgPost-race relief.I’ve never attempted to run a solo long distance speed record effort where it is just me, the trail, and my watch. No entry fee, no fancy aid stations, no finishers medal, no awards ceremony, no race t-shirt, no course markings, and not many folks to urge and cheer you onward; basically stepping way outside my comfort zone. In other words not much of a carrot was dangling in front of me as I hiked in the windy, cold dark of the night up to the tower on top on Mt.Pisgah. Once I got to the top, I was there all alone, no spectators, no competitors, no starting gun. So my challenge began at midnight with no hooplah that I’ve been accustomed to at race starting lines. My journey from here would take me approximately 66 miles with over 15k of climb along the Mountains-To-Sea Trail to the Mt. Mitchell observation deck.This challenge was conjured up by WNC trailrunner, Adam Hill some 7 years ago and he has finished it an amazing 4 times with the fastest time of 15:06, so the bar was set very high. Admittedly I’ve run very few miles in the dark, as I have purposely cherry picked many ultra races to avoid the discomfort of certain stresses and running in the dark has been one of them. I would now be spending the next 7 hours running in the dark, down the Shut In section of the MST and onward until daylight beckoned. Starting at midnight, in the dark on top of Mt. Pisgah all by yourself is a very surreal experience. I had my “A crew” (wife, Anne) waiting down below in the car as she decided the comfort of the car was too much to pass up.I wasted little time once I got to the observation deck. I checked out the amazing 360 degree views, bright stars and let out a howl and I started on my journey. Anne said she could see my headlamps on the summit (yes, I wore three lights- one on my head and two around my waist). I wonder if anybody else saw these lights bobbing their way down the trail, if so it probably made for some interesting discussion. The first few miles I settled into a nice rhythm and managed to run most of the time. Anne was there to greet me at our pre-arranged pit stops with my much needed fresh energy supplies throughout the night. After a couple hours I soon realized that running in the dark was not so bad. I started to forget about all my fears of not being able to run fast enough and all the scary creatures lurking in the night. Actually running in the dark forces you to keep a slower more consistent and deliberate pace, which is needed to control the temptation to start out too fast, something I’ve done more times than I care to remember. The only scary encounter that night was hurdling someone sleeping in a sleeping bag right in the middle of the trail at 2am. He was much more startled than I was as he never heard me coming. I guess he thought I was a bear looking for a late night snack.The first few hours passed rather quickly and I was soon approaching the Biltmore section of the MST/BRP crossing. As Anne handed me fresh supplies she told me she had a “run in” with a park ranger. He had asked what she was doing parked along the side of the BRP at 3am. The ranger was not at all interested in Anne’s explanation of why she was there. However the ranger eventually went on his way but warned her of all the dangerous shenanigans that occur at night and made it a point to say it was really dangerous for a lady to be out this late.I made it to the Folk Art Center around 6am and still had another hour to run in the dark. I knew the easier first half of the challenge was over and that I still had a good 9k of climb to get to Mt.Mitchell. I felt pretty good on the first climb up to Craven Gap but the long section from Ox Creek to Bee Tree Gap was where things got really ugly. I started to unravel quickly as my stomach which is usually never an issue for me started to not cooperate. I could not eat or drink very much. It did not take long for the dreaded bonk to hit me as I was not getting enough calories in my body. Just before Lane Pinnacle I was ready to call it a day, I was reduced to a slow hike and I had absolutely no energy. I was falling while walking uphill, a first for me and my mental state was in shambles. This all happened so quickly and I was concerned that Anne would start worrying, as I slowed quite a bit. My mental state was in shambles and I knew I had to try something to at least get me to my crew. This is where I had visions of dropping, going home and salvaging the day in front of a nice warm fire. As good as this sounded I knew I had to try something, so I choked down a double caffeine gel and took two S-caps. Within a few minutes I started to feel a little better and my mood began to brighten. I finally got to Anne, refueled and she urged my onward. I was still somewhat debating whether I could finish this monstrosity of a run as I had almost 18 miles left. Thankfully I took her advice to continue onward. I mumbled some choice words to myself and stumbled up the trail to Craggy Gardens.Some fifteen minutes or so later the MST trail became much tougher to follow. Partly because the blazes were not as good and partly because I had just run almost 50 miles, so my sense of direction was not all there. I quickly lost the trail and was wandering around looking for that damn white blaze which is the marking for the MST trail. Every tree looked like they had a white dot and I felt like I was in some sort of horror movie. I eventually found the trail after bushwhacking all over the side of the mountain. I was ready to hang it up for the second time. I was in a state of panic and I was letting my negativity get the best of me. I’ve had highs and lows in ultra races before but this was on a different level. I was actually so mad at the situation that I unknowingly started to run pretty fast, relatively speaking. I was on a mission now. I’m going to finish this challenge no matter how long it takes me.Just after getting past my second attempt at wanting to quit, Anne got her second run in with the park rangers. As I made my way down the trail into the Glassmine Falls Overlook, I saw two police cars surrounding Anne in our Subaru. I understood little at the time but I found out later that our dog Sadie was eating out of her bowl beside our car without a leash. The two rangers gave her quite a hard time and eventually wrote her a warning ticket. I quickly grabbed my fuel and got out of there not wanting to get involved especially the way I was feeling. She pleaded with the rangers to hurry up and write the ticket so she could keep crewing for me. Once again the explanation that I was running from Mt Pisgah to Mt Mitchell was met with looks of “should we just lock her up”?The last few miles were extremely tough due to all the climbing but as I got closer to my finish I became even more driven. I was running and power hiking in almost a euphoric state. As I got closer to Mt.Mitchell I was running more and hiking less. The last mile is straight up and I was giving every ounce of energy I had left. My back ached from all the steep climbs, my legs burned from the overload of lactic acid, and my face was contorted into a very painful dead looking stare. I felt relieved that the end was nearing but the steepness of the trail was warranting all my attention. Once the tower was in sight just a few hundred feet ahead it felt like I was about to win some big ultra race but this was even more rewarding. The tourists walking to and from the tower looked at me like some alien just popped out the woods. I did not care at all as this felt like my own personal Olympics.The moment I reached the observation deck it felt so good and I was proud of myself for not giving up. This challenge for me was so much more rewarding than a structured running event. This sixty six mile trek was about running for a different reason. It was a personal challenge on an entirely different level. It was a much less selfish running experience. I found out that I didn’t need that racing event carrot to test myself. All I needed was for my friend Adam Hill to decide back in 2004 that this was a worthy challenge. And so it was!last_img read more

‘Messi could walk out on Barcelona before end of season’

first_imgLionel Messi could walk away from Barcelona before the end of this season. Lionel Messi With the campaign to extend well before the expected end date, Messi could quit the Nou Camp by the end of next month. Okdiario says Messi’s contract, which runs to 2021, carries a clause which allows the Argentine to quit for nothing should he declare his wish to do so on May 31.Advertisement However, it’s understood Messi has no intention to trigger the option – though also doesn’t plan to enter new contract talks anytime soon. read also:Messi has a shrine dedicated to Muhammad Ali in his home Instead, the Barca captain is willing to wait until after the club’s presidential election before making a decision over his future. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone8 Scenes That Prove TV Has Gone Too FarEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?What Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits Earth5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black Holes7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your PhoneThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read Morecenter_img Loading… last_img read more

Jaspal Rana gets his due, recommended for this year’s Dronacharya Award

first_img First Published: 18th August, 2020 10:44 IST COMMENT Written By Last Updated: 18th August, 2020 10:44 IST Jaspal Rana Gets His Due, Recommended For This Year’s Dronacharya Award Ignored last year, shooting legend Jaspal Rana on Monday found his name among the 13 coaches recommended for this year’s Dronacharya award by the sports ministry’s selection committee WATCH US LIVE Ignored last year, shooting legend Jaspal Rana on Monday found his name among the 13 coaches recommended for this year’s Dronacharya award by the sports ministry’s selection committee.Rana was nominated by the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) for the Dronacharya Award last year as well but was ignored, causing quite a flutter.It snowballed into a big controversy after India’s only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra criticised the selection panel for not picking the seasoned coach.The 43-year-old Rana, a multiple Asian Games gold-medallist marksman, is credited with grooming the likes of teen sensations Manu Bhaker, Saurabh Choadhary, and Anish Bhanwala into world-class shooters.Besides, Rana hockey coaches Romesh Pathania and Jude Felix and wushu coach Kuldeep Pathania were also recommended for the award, a source close to the development told PTI.It has also been learnt that the awards selection committee recommended 15 names for the Dhayan Chand Award this year.Former India cricketer Virender Sehwag and hockey stalwart Sardar Singh are part of the 12-member selection committee constituted by the sports ministry to select this year’s winners.Also there in the panel is Paralympic silver-medallist Deepa Malik.The other members of the committee include former table tennis player Monalisa Baruah Mehta, boxer Venkatesan Devarajan as well as sports commentator Manish Batavia and journalists Alok Sinha and Neeru Bhatia.The national sports awards are given away every year on August 29, the birth anniversary of hockey icon Dhyan Chand.The panel also had representation from the Sports Ministry, including Sports Authority of India Director General Sandip Pradhan, Joint Secretary (Sports Development) L S Singh and Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) CEO Rajesh Rajagopalan. Image credits: PTI center_img SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV Press Trust Of India FOLLOW USlast_img read more