Corning >> Sports at Corning High is closing fast with the release of the fall sports schedule by schools officials this week. The football team will open its season during week zero at upper division Enterprise, which boasted an 8-2 junior varsity record last year. The Hornets also return one of the most explosive dual-threat quarterbacks from a year ago in incoming junior and multi-sport athlete Leslie Cummings. Corning, coached by John Studer, is coming off an 8-3 and opening-round exit in …
Johannesburg, Tuesday 27 November 2018 – Brand South Africa welcomes the release of the 2018 Ernst & Young (EY) Africa Attractiveness Survey which sees South Africa retain its position as the top foreign direct investment (FDI) destination on the African continent, a top rank position which the country now shares with Morocco.EY states that they are also seeing investment shifting between countries for the first time. “South Africa, once the clear leader in attracting FDI, now shares the top rank with Morocco.This is the first time South Africa has been challenged for being the most preferred investment destination (measured by FDI project numbers). Ethiopia jumped seven places to become the fifth-largest FDI recipient, its highest ranking yet.”The report also notes that during 2017 FDI into the African economy increased with 6%, and that in 2016 a total of 676 FDI projects came to African economies, increasing to 718 in 2017. In this regard, the top five nations on the African continent of FDI projects are South Africa with 96 projects – giving it a 31% share of FDI in 2017. Morocco with 96 projects, increases from 81 in 2016 and Kenya with 67 projects, rising from 40 in 2016, suggesting a 68% increase in FDI projects year on year. Nigeria sees an increase from 54 to 64 projects between 2016 and 2017 while Ethiopia made a momentous improvement with an increase of 288% of FDI projects, from 16 in 2016, to 62 in 2017.Commenting on the EY Africa Attractiveness Survey 2018 results, Brand South Africa’s GM for Research Dr Petrus de Kock says from this year’s report it is clear that specific regions and countries’ outlook, and investment attractiveness have changed dramatically.Dr de Kock adds: “This has several implications for South Africa in a year where President Ramaphosa made investment (both domestic and foreign) a key priority of his administration and cabinet. South Africa’s position in this year’s report is as a result of the -31% decline on investment projects from 2016 (total number of projects in 2016 were 139). From the EY data it is clear that South Africa lost momentum in attracting FDI in 2017.”Dr de Kock says Morocco’s position should serve as a wakeup call and motivator for South Africa. “Morocco’s standing as FDI destination is solidifying and the country is on a trajectory to intensify its FDI credentials in the coming years. It is therefore important following on the successful investment conference initiated by President Ramaphosa, that South Africa utilises existing strengths in market diversification, strength of incentives for investment, and the infrastructural profile of the market, to attract more investment.“South Africa needs to sustain momentum to stimulate GDP growth because there is a direct correlation between robust GDP growth and FDI attraction. The country must ensure that it continues on the path of careful reforms to improve ease of doing business in the market,” concluded Dr de Kock.Of all the regions, East Africa registered the most significant increase in the number of FDI projects during 2017. This is mostly due to robust GDP growth, as well as regional integration initiatives. As a whole, the region saw an 82% increase in FDI compared to 2016. While this increase comes off a relatively low base in 2016, it is notable that the region emerged as Africa’s FDI hub during 2017.The EY Africa Attractiveness Survey 2018 provides interesting insights pertaining to the economic outlook of the pan-African economy, as well as trends in FDI.
The Chief Minister has also directed administrative and police officials in districts to regularly review the steps being taken for women security and inform senior officials on a regular basis, the official said.Stressing that his government was firm on upholding the security and dignity of women, he said a state-wide drive has been launched to free public places of anti-social elements and check incidents of eve-teasing, indecent behaviour and passing of lewd comments at women and girls.The UP Home department has issued fresh directives to identify those involved in misconduct at schools, colleges, bus stations, railway stations, malls and markets.The government is also firm on checking unnecessary harassment of girls and boys merely in the name of curbing eve-teasing in public places like coffee shops, markets and parks.The government has also made it clear that vigilantism of any sort in this regard will not be tolerated.‘No unnecessary harassment’With TV channels reporting that couples were being harassed and humiliated by anti-Romeo squads at some places, Adityanath asked officials to ensure there was no “unnecessary harassment“.The Chief Minister asked the Principal Secretary (Home) to chalk out clear guidelines for anti-Romeo squads and ensure there is no unnecessary harassment of boys and girls moving around or sitting at any place, an official release said.Anti-Romeo squads, a poll promise of the BJP that secured a remarkable victory in the Uttar Pradesh election, drew criticism from certain quarters with visuals of policemen targeting young boys and girls going viral on TV and on social media.“The idea is to question, check group of boys or boys alone near colleges and other places and create fear among potential harassers in public places,” said a police officer.However, it was being dubbed as an attempt at moral policing and widely criticised in some quarters as the modus operandi was being compared with the infamous ‘Operation Majnu’ in 2005, in which boys at crossings and markets were pulled up, and couples in gardens were thrashed by police.The officer sought to clarify that the only job (of the anti-Romeo squads) was to ensure safety of women and that eve-teasing does not take place.“For this we will also take preventive steps like not permitting miscreants to loiter in public areas frequented by women. I will not say it is moral policing,” he said.The Chief Minister, who holds the portfolio of Home department, has also asked for effective steps in cases of acid attacks.Mr. Adityanath has termed law and order as the top priority of his government and has asked for daily reports from all DMs and SPs on law and order. Acting on the Allahabad High Court’s order asking anti-Romeo squads to follow guidelines, the Uttar Pradesh government on Friday directed the police to ensure that no inhumane measure was adopted in the name of ensuring security to women.There should be no shaving of heads, blackening of faces or “murga pose” (sit-ups while holding ears), a senior official said here.The guidelines have been issued after the intervention of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath amidst reports of harassment by anti-Romeo squads.These special squads of UP Police were formed after the Yogi Aditynath government assumed office this month, fulfilling one of the poll promises of the BJP.The Allahabad High Court had yesterday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to ensure that guidelines were followed by anti-Romeo squads and action was taken as per the law.The court’s Lucknow bench of justices Amreshwar Pratap Sahi and Sanjay Harkauli had given the order on a PIL that alleged that police were not following the guidelines during the drive, aimed at checking eveteasing, and was harassing couples.Also Read After U.P., Bihar BJP demands anti-Romeo squads
More than 75% of the 7 lakh electorate on Monday cast votes in the bypolls to the three Assembly seats in West Bengal, amid allegations that Trinamool Congress activists orchestrated an attack on the BJP candidate from Karimpur segment, Joy Prakash Majumdar.The turnout was 77.17% in Kaliaganj, 67.62% in Kharagpur Sadar and 81.23% in Karimpur. Video footage aired by local television channels showed that a group of people surrounded Mr. Majumdar, staged a demonstration, and then started slapping and punching him before pushing him into the nearby bushes. The BJP candidate blamed the Trinamool for the attack and alleged that West Bengal’s ruling party was trying to “murder democracy”. ‘Attempt to murder’West Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh called it an “attempt to murder” the party candidate and said the Trinamool was looking at an imminent defeat.The Trinamool leadership said the BJP leader was trying to garner sympathy. “This was a planned act to garner sympathy from the people,” Trinamool Congress secretary general and State Minister Partha Chatterjee said.In another incident at Kaliaganj, BJP candidate Kamal Chandra Sarkar was seen helping his wife cast her vote. The presiding officer of the polling booth was removed after the incident. In Kharagpur Sadar’s booth number 140, the BJP agent complained that the Electronic Voting Machine was strategically placed beside a mirror wall.Over 7.34 lakh voters were eligible to vote in 801 polling stations. Voters had to choose their representatives from among 18 candidates, including three women.Vacant seatsThe polls at Kharagpur Sadar and Karimganj were necessitated after the MLAs from the respective seats contested and won the 2019 Lok Sabha polls. Dilip Ghosh, BJP MLA from Kharagpur Sadar, was elected from the Medinipur Lok Sabha seat and Mahua Moitra, MLA from Karimpur, won the Krishnanagar seat in Nadia district. The seat in Uttar Dinajpur district in Kaliaganj had been vacant after the death of Congress MLA Pramath Nath Roy in May 2019.